Once again, The Club welcomes
D.W. Webb Varnum Geologist with his presentation
“Sutro Tunnel” this Tuesday February 22, 2022
The Sutro Tunnel is a drainage tunnel (adit) connected to the
and ends approximately 3.88 miles northwest, connecting to the
Savage Mine in Virginia City, Nevada.
was the first major discovery of silver ore in the United States
and named after American miner Henry Comstock.
Adolph Heinrich Joseph Sutro (April 29, 1830 – August 8, 1898) was
as the 24th mayor of San Francisco from 1895 until 1897. Born a
German Jew, he moved to Virginia City, Nevada and made a fortune
at the Comstock Lode.
In past Club Meetings D.W. Webb Varnum Geologist has enlightened
us with his comments on:
- “Types Of Gold Deposits” August 12, 2021
- “Carlin Type Gold Deposits” November 27, 2016
- “Plate Tectonics, A Brief Look at How Plate Tectonics Affects Nevada and California”“Genesis of Mineral Deposits, primary Ore Deposit”
- “How To Evaluate A Dry Placer Claim” December 3, 2016
- “Genesis of a Turquoise Deposit” October 2016
- “OPAL” October 2020